PS Student Support
The learning needs and special strengths of students are identified through a variety of forms of assessment, including informal teacher observation and checklists, grade-level assessments in reading, writing, spelling, and math, standardized tests, and, when appropriate, external professional evaluations. Student needs are also identified in response to parental concerns. The team collaboratively identifies individual student needs as well as in-class learning support strategies, additional learning support, and other interventions, which are shared with the student’s parents. The Student Support Team also monitors learning support provided to individual students through the following support structures:
- Language Support in English, French and Spanish, Grades 1-5: The English, French and Spanish language support coordinators provide in-class and out-of-class support for individuals and small groups in English, French and Spanish.
- Learning Specialist: The learning specialist works with teachers and students to provide strategies to address identified learning needs. Some additional resources are available HERE.
- Mathematics Support: The Math support teacher works with teachers to plan differentiated lessons and provides in-class support and out-of-class support for individuals and small groups in Grades 1-5.
- WIS employs the Responsive Classroom approach, which supports the strong connection between social-emotional learning (SEL) and academic success by using practices to develop engaging learning environments and a community whose members feel significant and valued.
- The counselors also work with teachers to provide classroom lessons to develop healthy friendships, solve social problems, and increase self-esteem.
- Counseling support at the primary school consists of short-term individual or small group support for students, as well as consultation with teachers, either individually or during quarterly grade-level team pastoral meetings, and meeting with parents.
Download a PDF about Student Support HERE.