MS Student Support
Student learning needs are initially identified through individual teacher assessments, student progress meetings, a learning specialist or other administrator, or parental queries. Once a problem is identified, either Learning Specialist may evaluate the student for possible learning issues and identify in-class learning support strategies, additional learning support, and other interventions. If necessary, in conjunction with the SST, a recommendation might be made for further external evaluation. There are three tiers of academic support at the middle school level:
- Subject Labs: These sessions are run by teachers to support classroom learning in English, Math, French, and Spanish.
- After School Supervised Study: Supervised study provides organized, monitored study time for students, which includes support for organizational and study skills as well as assistance with homework and test preparation.
- Learning Lab: During these sessions, students receive one-to-one tutoring in sciences, languages, organization, writing, and math.
- A certified professional school counselor provides short-term individual counseling, crisis intervention, psychosocial assessment, and referral to outside services as needed.
- Advisors meet with students for one hour per eight-day cycle in Grades 6-10, as well as for 10 minutes during homeroom.
- Along with the division principal, dean of students, teachers, and advisors, the counselor also provides psycho-education programs through life skills classes which meet once per eight-day cycle in Grades 6 and 7. Topics covered through these programs include depression and anxiety, relationships, communication, peer pressure, drugs, alcohol, stress management, conflict resolution, and sexual health.
KEY MS CONTACTS
Randy Althaus, Principalrandy.email@example.com
Eric Beck, Dean of Studentseric.firstname.lastname@example.org
Heidi Bachman, Learning Specialistheidi.email@example.com
Marilyn Wilson Odhiambo, Counselormarilyn.firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeanne Romilly, Health Coordinatorjeanne.email@example.com
Kristin Gilliland, 6th Gradekristin.firstname.lastname@example.org
Amy Tong, 7th Gradeamy.email@example.com
Emma Strauss & Allie Wilding, 8th Gradeemma.firstname.lastname@example.org