In addition to the summer reading recommendations and suggestions below, the Learning Specialists from each division have created a list of resources and camps* for academic support and enrichment, including language-oriented programs. A specific collection of activities and resources for Primary School families is available HERE*.
*Please note that the programs listed above are not endorsed by WIS and the list is not exhaustive. It is advisable to research any program to make sure it is a good fit for your family.
Summer Activities to Support Learning
- Watch movies/shows in French/Spanish.
- Listen to audiobooks to promote reading comprehension and fluency.
- Read books (at any level) to promote literacy. Let the child guide the book selection.
- Read to your child. Selecting books that are at a reading level just above that of your child can introduce your child to deeper plots and characters and more complex vocabulary and sentence structure. This can also serve as a jumping off point for conversations and questions about a wide variety of topics.
- Play games that involve strategy, categorizing, memory, thinking routines, and visual-spatial skills.
- Journal (in any language) about summer activities — such as camp, visits with friends and family, and travel — to promote writing skills.