Snow Days & Unplanned Closures
With a school population that includes a significant number of families and employees who live outside of northwest Washington, DC, we need to consider circumstances for the region when making decisions regarding closures and/or delays on snowy/icy mornings. Factors involved include: road conditions, Metro/bus operations, weather predictions, and announcements made by regional school systems and local employers.
If WIS is closed or delayed due to inclement weather and/or snow, we will do the following:
- Post an announcement on the WIS home page.
- Send a text/email alert.
- Send a Tweet (follow us on @WISRedDevils).
We will make every effort to post this information as early as possible and no later than 6:00 AM. If WIS does not make a specific announcement using the methods above, school is in session on a regular schedule.
UNPLANNED EARLY DISMISSALS
If students are already on campus and we need to announce an early dismissal/mid-day closure, WIS will use the methods noted above. In addition, we will send a broadcast email to all parents.
LEARNING DURING UNPLANNED CLOSURES
In the event of ANY unplanned closure—such as a snow/inclement weather day—learning will proceed as follows:
- Middle and Upper School students will learn from home based on the schedule they follow in the Hybrid Learning Model.
- Grades 1–5 students will learn from home based on the schedule they follow in the Hybrid Learning Model. The Learning Guides posted in Seesaw will determine the schedule for the day.
- Early Years students will follow a Distance Learning schedule. Details will be posted in Seesaw by 9:00 AM. (The Early Years Home Learning students may follow their regular Home Learning schedule or join with their full class in Distance Learning.)