Snow Days & Unplanned Closures
With a school population that includes a significant number of families and employees who live outside of northwest Washington, DC, we need to consider circumstances for the region when making decisions regarding closures and/or delays on snowy/icy mornings. Factors involved include: road conditions, Metro/bus operations, weather predictions, and announcements made by regional school systems and local employers.
If WIS is closed or delayed due to inclement weather and/or snow, we will do the following:
- Post an announcement on the WIS home page.
- Send a text/email alert.
- Send a Tweet (follow us on @WISRedDevils).
We will make every effort to post this information as early as possible and no later than 6:00 AM. If WIS does not make a specific announcement using the methods above, school is in session on a regular schedule.
UNPLANNED EARLY DISMISSALS
If students are already on campus and we need to announce an early dismissal/mid-day closure, WIS will use the methods noted above. In addition, we will send a broadcast email to all parents.
LEARNING DURING UNPLANNED CLOSURES
In the event of ANY unplanned closure—such as a snow/inclement weather day—learning will proceed as follows:
- Middle and Upper School students will learn from home based on their regular schedule.
- Preschool through Grade 3: the schedule and activities for the day will be posted in Seesaw.
- Grades 4 and 5: the schedule and activities for the day will be posted in Google Classrooms.