Welcome to the launch of our Tregaron Project!
We are excited to be on the way to building a science-centric facility on the Tregaron Campus. The new building (pictured above to the right of the Mansion) is the Project centerpiece, but the impact also includes:
- Reaffirming the School's ongoing partnership with the Tregaron Conservancy
- Landscape improvements around the campus, particularly around the driveway entrance from Macomb Street
- New stairs from Macomb Street entrance to campus level
- Restoration of the four-square garden
- Green roof on the new building
The new building will have biology, chemistry, physics and Middle School science labs, as well as work and preparation areas for the labs. There will be project spaces to display work, a design technology lab and a new dining facility and fully-equipped kitchen.
The General Contractor selected to partner with us is MCN Build. The selection was made after a rigorous evaluation process overseen by JM Zell, the owner’s representative firm working closely with our Director of Facilities and Board. We are thrilled to have their partnership in this endeavor.
PREPARATORY PHASE: Dacha Relocation
The Dacha was not original to the estate, but was added by Ambassador Joseph Davies and his wife Marjorie Merriweather Post, who purchased the property in 1940, renaming it Tregaron to honor the Welsh town where Davies' father was born. Presumably as an homage to the time he served as U.S. Ambassador to the Soviet Union, the Dacha was built in 1945 to serve as Davies' retreat.
The Dacha has served a wide variety of purposes over the 40+ years Washington International School has owned Tregaron. Most recently it has provided space for larger groups of students, faculty, and staff to meet. Its new location, in the area to the east of the Mansion Solarium patio, ensures its ongoing integration into campus life in a setting more appropriate to a building of its type.
Work to prepare the site for the Dacha relocation began during Winter Break 2022–2023. The Dacha took its historic roll across campus during Spring Break (logistics plan HERE).
FUN FACT: The combined weight estimate for the Dacha and the supporting steel used during the move was 135,000 pounds (67.5 tons). If you estimate the weight of an elephant at four tons, moving the Dacha was like moving 17 elephants piled on top of each other!