Tuition & Financial Aid
Summary of 2018-2019 annual tuition:
Preschool Tuition: $26,470
Pre-Kindergarten Tuition: $33,710
Kindergarten to Grade 5 Tuition: $36,600
Middle School Tuition (Grades 6-8): $40,790
Upper School Tuition (Grades 9-12): $41,380
Tuition includes the textbooks, cost of most local field trips, retreats, outdoor education fees, laboratory and other science fees, tickets to school productions, a yearbook, and student photographs and identification cards. It also covers workbooks and classroom materials. Click for the complete 2018-2019 Schedule of Fees.
2018-2019 PAYMENT OPTIONSThe full terms and conditions of payment are stated on the enrollment contract. When submitting a contract, parents/guardians choose one of the following payment options.
- One full payment: due July 1, 2018 (carries a 1% discount on tuition, except for families on financial aid).
- Two payments: 60% (minus enrollment deposit) due July 1, 2018; balance due December 1, 2018.
- Ten monthly installments: 10% of tuition and fees due monthly May 15, 2018 through February 15, 2019. This plan carries a surcharge of $200 to cover interest and processing costs. If you have any questions, please contact Student Billing at 202.243.1813.
Tuition payments can be made in cash, by check drawn on a US bank, by money order, or by direct deposit from another bank and are due no later than the 1st of the month (one- or two-payment plans) or 15th of every month (10-payment plan). Payment for optional services and charitable contributions to the School may also be made by credit card.
The school has an active financial aid program to support the goal of maintaining a socioeconomically diverse student body.
Grants based on financial need are awarded to children in Kindergarten and above whose families cannot otherwise afford tuition and fees. (Financial aid is not available in Preschool or Pre-Kindergarten except for the children of WIS faculty and staff.) On average 14 percent of the current students receive some amount of financial aid. Grant amounts vary depending on need, although all families pay some portion of tuition and fees. Aid is available to approximately 15 newly-admitted students per year. Any family entering WIS as full-pay will remain full pay unless a significant change in circumstances can be established through the SSS process.
The School intends to offer aid to every accepted student who demonstrates financial need. However, because financial considerations are not a factor in admissions, it is common for the financial need of newly admitted students to exceed the School’s available resources. In such instances, financial aid cannot be available for all admitted students who qualify for assistance. It is important, therefore, that families requesting financial aid should apply to other schools at the same time as they apply to WIS.
Please see our Financial Aid Brochure for additional details.
WIS uses School and Student Services (SSS) of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) to process our financial aid applications. Families requesting aid should note that the first financial aid deadline is January 15, 2018. By this date, families must have completed a SSS Parent Financial Statement (PFS) online at http://sssbynais.org/parents.
The following documents must be received by SSS by February 5:
- A copy of your 2016 federal tax returns (1040 and all related schedules; those running a business or farm must also submit the relevant statements)
- A copy of your 2016 and 2017 W-2 and/or 1099 forms
- The Financial Aid Supplemental Information Form must be completed by all families applying for Financial Aid.
By April 20, 2018 Federal Tax returns (including all schedules) must be submitted to SSS by NAIS at (http://sssbynais.org/parents).