Technology and Privacy
Built on a fast, robust, and secure network, technology supports all areas of teaching and learning at WIS. The IT and Academic Technology teams work closely together monitoring trends and best practices in independent schools and elsewhere to ensure faculty, staff, and students feel safe and productive online.
All teachers and students have access to a high-speed wi-fi environment. Device use and access differs across campuses:
- Early Years students occasionally use iPads under the guidance and supervision of the teacher.
- Grades 1-3 leverage shared laptop carts and iPads for use in the classroom.
- Each Primary School classroom for Grades 4-5 is equipped with a cart of Macbook Air laptops.
- All students in Grades 6-8 are issued a school-owned iPad as part of a 1:1 device program in the Middle School.
- Students in Grades 9-12 bring their own laptop (which must meet school guidelines) to campus daily.
- All faculty and staff are issued a school-owned device with added threat protections such as anti-virus software and open DNS.
School-owned devices are managed via a Mobile Device Management (MDM) system and therefore adhere to centrally established policies. Internet traffic is filtered through industry-standard firewalls and email traffic is governed by security and spam filtering.
Classrooms serving students in Grades 1-8 are equipped with 70” interactive touch screen boards, while all other classrooms have access to HD-quality projection, sound, and Apple TV. All teachers are trained on how to use the classroom technology effectively.