Ways To Give
Two ways to make gifts that yield immediate benefits to Washington International School include:
Gifts of low-yielding securities, real estate, collectibles, and other similar properties can provide a tax-efficient way to make meaningful gifts with little or no effect on your current spendable income. When you give appropriate property you have owned longer than one year, you are entitled to an income tax deduction for the full value of the asset, not just the amount you paid for it. All capital gains tax that would be due on a sale of the property is avoided. Gifts of appreciated assets may be deducted in an amount up to 30% of your adjusted gross income each year. Please call the Advancement Office at (202) 243-1856 if you have property you would like to donate to the School.
Appreciated Stock as a Charitable GiftOne of the most satisfactory ways for a donor to give a gift to the Washington International School, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, is to use appreciated stock. Giving stocks, bonds, and mutual fund shares that have increased in value (and which the donor has owned for more than one year) provides greater tax benefits to the donor than giving cash. The donor can not only deduct the full market value of the securities but can also avoid paying capital gains tax on the appreciation.
Thank you for your interest in making a gift of appreciated stock to Washington International School. Giving stocks, bonds, and mutual fund shares that have increased in value (and which the donor has owned for more than one year) provides greater tax benefits to the donor than giving cash. The donor can not only deduct the full market value of the securities, but also avoid paying capital gains tax on the appreciation.
Instructions for Giving Stock to WIS
So we can process your contribution in a timely and efficient manner, please provide the Director of Advancement at WIS with the following information:
- Your name and address
- Number of shares and description of the security
- Any specific purpose for your gift
The donor’s broker should transfer the stock into the School’s account:
- Credit Account Number: 656-198190
- Credit Account Name: Washington International School
- Delivery Trust Company (DTC) No. 0226
- For Credit to Brokerage Firm: National Financial Services, LLC
- Contact: Zoraida Rosa (305) 677-6693 firstname.lastname@example.org
- If a transfer to the School’s brokerage account is not possible, the donor’s broker should become an agent for the School and set up an account for WIS and sell the stock immediately.
- If a transfer using stock certificates is unavoidable, the donor should send unendorsed certificates by regular first class mail along with a letter of transmittal signed by the owner to the Director of Advancement. Under separate cover, the donor should mail a signed stock power executed in blank for each security along with a copy of the letter of transmittal. The donor should not fill in the School’s name as transferee on either the stock certificates or stock power.
- Securities that have decreased in value should first be sold by the donor and the cash proceeds given to the School. The donor then can deduct the capital loss to offset any capital gain.